Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Some Firsts Aren't Quite Fascinating

He swam for 7 hours and after 2 days of paracetamol and mucolytic, we found ourselves in the ER. His Pediatrician felt it better we treat his pneumonia in the hospital - against my pleading. How would our arrangements be? There was a 6 month old baby waiting for me at home but I knew I had to be beside my 3 year old.

This was his first time to be admitted to a hospital.I am thankful that there was no drama in the ER. His IV was inserted without a hitch. He was extremely cooperative and didn't complain 1 bit except for when they were about to do an x-ray. I despise "cold, detached" health care workers who fail to make the patient feel safe and secure. So I had to do a bit more prodding at the x-ray room while the very impatient x-ray technician tapped his foot while waiting for a very scared 3 year old to subject himself to what the kid felt was a scary procedure.

The husband stayed with him through the night because I had to feed the littlest one through the night. I must say, Dash was such a trooper.

We were hoping to be discharged after 48 hours but his pediatrician thought otherwise. I would stay in the hospital the whole day and would leave when Dash would be asleep. I would come home feeling guilty and lonely. Looking for the normal.

Finally, today, Dash's pediatrician found Dash fit to continue his medications at home.
Sure it was a time of testing for us again. But I realized that in adverse circumstances, complaining never gets the job done. Being thankful is the best thing to do.

Everytime I would go to the hospital in the morning, I would have to pass by the PICU and I would have to see this little guy hooked up to a respirator and I would have to see the worried, sad, heartbroken faces of his family.


Alicia said...

Aww..your poor baby! It sounds like he did well in the hospital. That must have been hard to leave him there. I'm glad he is okay now!

Heather said...

I'm glad he's on the mend!

DebbieDana said...

He swam for 7 long hours??? WOW! No doubt, he got sick...but i'm glad to hear he is home now and taking his meds. Hope he gets very well soon, it's hard to see our kids get sick.

sandy said...

I'm so sorry. But I can't help but see his smile! He looks like he handled it like such a trooper!

So glad to hear he's doing better.

C said...

Awwwwww! Poor boy! Hope he's feeling better! Despite it all, he's got such a great smile in those pics!!! Precious!

Heart of Rachel said...

I'm sorry to hear that Dash got hospitalized. I'm glad that he has been discharged. Hope he is doing much better now.

All hospital staff should be given pointers on how to deal with small children. They need more attention, patience and understanding unlike adult patients. Shame on that x-ray technician.

Sophiagurl said...

awww! I hope he's doing okay now. Hospitals scare me too, especially when someone from the family is hospitalized. and I wanted to be pediatrician! hehe:)