Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Whew!

I totally jinxed myself when I said the kids were getting better. Come Friday at lunch time, after picking up my 5 year old from school, I noticed his eyes were teary and he looked pale. 2 hours later, his fever reached 39.5 degrees Celsius. I gave him paracetamol, put him in cool clothes, and made him lie down. No effect. By this time, the baby had a sore throat - he was losing his voice . It was actually cute to listen to his voice - BUT poor baby. And I still had that ball - golf this time not baseball- in my throat. Susie left me a comment and I gladly took her advice. Now I totally am for home remedies. Try them, no harm in doing so, and if they work for you, then good. 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar mixed into a whole glass of water did the job for me. I took 2 glasses of this. I was feeling much, much better. So I was off to care for the kids.
It is a difficult time - when the kids are sick. It is especially difficult for me because of the stress of worrying about them that I always go through. I was thankful that the baby was up and about, doing his normal daily stuff - messing up their playroom, eating everything, shouting and running about. But my 5 year old looked bad. All he did was lay down and look so pitiful. His fever did not want to go down. It was a pretty rough night, because his fever was so high, he was so uncomfortable - he couldn't sleep.
The next day, we got the 2 boys ready and brought them to the doctor. Antibiotics it is, for the 2 of them.
Setting aside the tiresome activities brought about by sick kids, it was a wonderful experience for me and Jet as well. I dropped everything on Friday, I took the half day off and stayed home. In between temperature takings and sponge baths, I played with the baby and was able to enjoy cooking for them. I enjoyed every snuggling, complaining, whining, cuddling moment with them. After all, it's not everyday that your kid gets sick, more so, the 2 of them. I was also able to realize more things about myself. That I am capable of doing more things than I actually imagine myself to be able to do.

5 comments:

Sharon - Mom Generations said...

Oh Louann! I hope your boys are doing better today. I hate when the kids are sick, it is the worst feeling in the world. It's just a feeling of "what can I do!?" It's just horrible watching your little men suffer. I hope the medication has kicked in... and I hope you are better too!!
- AUdrey

Stepping Over the Junk said...

Hope everyone is doing better! It is horrible when kids are sick, and it is amazing what we can do as mothers when we are facing challenges with the kids...glad it was nice to be home with them...

PinksandBluesGirls said...

I'm glad you were able to see that in yourself. But I am sorry that it meant your kids had to get sick. That's never fun.

Jane, Pinks & Blues

Unknown said...

Sounds like our house too! All three of my kiddos are sick today and i have that wonderful scratchy throat. i will have to try that home remedy!

Heart of Rachel said...

I hope that the boys will get well soon. I understand how hard it is when children are sick. I can imagine it's tougher for you because they are both not feeling well. Hope the antibiotics will help them recover fully. Take care!