Friday, January 25, 2008

Yesterday.

Fir the first time in my entire life, I did my first long out of town drive yesterday. Yipee. I was tasked to attend a job fair in one of the provinces outside our city. It was a 1 1/2 hour drive down to the province of La Union.

I was scared at first but then finally got the hang of it.

When I got there, I had a booth waiting for me there so I immediately set up all the materials I needed. Because I wanted to make the most of the day there, I decided to interview all the applicants. It was draining at first but then I did get to speak with pretty inter sting people.

Whenever I interview applicants. weather in the office or during job fairs like these, I never fail to try to get to know the person better - who he is, why he is, who he wants to be, etc. And a lot of times, I have found myself almost in tears whenever they start talking about their families and their need to find a job to be able to help support the needs of their family.

In developing countries like ours,finding a job is a struggle. Aside from the fact that not everyone is able to earn a college degree (which is a pre requisite for most jobs), even if one is able to earn a 4 year college degree, the educational system is still unable to prepare them for the jobs offered which can give a decent pay. It is hard.

Out of all the applicants I got to talk to, probably 4 or 5 really made the "cut," but I was glad I was able to get to meet new people again. Experiences like these continue to add to my learning's about this world we live in.

By 5PM, I was back home, happy to be with the kids again.

No comments: