Saturday, May 5, 2007

Little Learnings

Funny how 7 days without the nanny has allowed me to realize quite a number things. First, I am capable of doing too many things at the same time. Tired or too tired, we all survived at home. Second, on the other hand, I am too blessed to have a nanny. As I read some of the comments you guys left, having a nanny in the States is not a common 'thing.' And lastly, but the most important realization is how I have evolved as a mother.
-
Here in the Philippines, a lot of households have stay-in house helps or a cleaning lady who comes at least once a week. "Why?" you ask, well because, having a nanny does not cost too much. It is an extra expense but it does not hamper the whole budgeting of the family. Like I pay my nanny Php 2500 ($52) a month. In most cases though, since it is relatively cheap labor, you can never be sure about your nanny, know what I mean? That is why I love my nanny too much. She loves my kids and I can trust her with them. She has been with us for 3 years and has plans of staying with us for a longer time.
-
So this evolving self of mine. I was amazed at how I have changed as a mom when it comes to baby care. Although I am still the same baby googooing mommy that I am when the little one gets overly cute, I have learned to relax and lessen my being too uptight over too many things.

5 years ago, I used to be this uptight, tense, anxious mother. When Josh would squirm or cry, I would always think that something was the matter with him. He would have to follow a very strict eating / feeding schedule. He had to eat on the dot, every 3 1/2 hours. Bathing time was exactly the same time every morning. But now? I have learned to relax. And I noticed that everyone at home relaxes too when they see and feel that I am a little bit more laid back. I have realized too that sometimes a baby can be cranky because he just isn't in the mood. Although Dash has a more or less feeding schedule, there are days when he wants more milk than he usually consumes and so I give him that extra bottle.

I don't know, I just feel so much better now. I never imagined myself a mommy of 2 boys at age 25 but so far, I have been enjoying this ride.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How nice that you have a nanny who you love and can trust with your precious boys!! You can't put a price tag on that!

And from what I've read, you are such an amazing Mommy... your boys are so lucky to have YOU!

- Jane, Pinks & Blues Girls

Anonymous said...

No wonder he's so attached!! I'm so glad you have a nanny -- I need help with the boys, but unable to find the right person.

Jennboree said...

I would love a housekeeper. Then I could just play and play, letting someone else pick up hubby's dirty clothes that always end up just shy of the hamper.

A good nanny is priceless, I'm sure!